SPINDLE ERROR ANALYZER
High precision spindle measurement: Unlocking the mystery of spindle performance
Spindles represent a key part of any machine tool. They determine the quality of the final product produced and the overall productivity and efficiency of the machine tool itself.In state of the art machine tools the spindle takes up a considerable part of the total cost of your machine. The Spindle Error Analyzer (SEA) is developed specifically for machine tool metrology, giving you clear and noncompromising results.
Advantages of our Spindle Error Analyzer
- Optimization of your spindle design
- Understanding complex spindle problems
- Demonstration of your spindle performance
- Clear machine commissioning with ISO standard measurements
Spindle end user:
- Money saving predictive maintenance
- Higher and better work piece quality
- Recognition of warranty claims
- Machine acceptance
- Working order checking following crashes
The Lion Precision Spindle Error Analyzer is a complete system for spindle metrology that measures and analyses the accuracy of machine tool spindles. The system works by installing a precision Master-Ball target with a maximum roundness error of 50 nm* in the tool holder. The spindle motion is measured with non-contact probes mounted in a precision fixture. These readings are then analysed by state-of-the-art algorithms and the results presented in easy to read charts and graphs.
The purpose of the SEA system:
- High performance non-contact measurement with nanometre resolution
- Measurement of dynamic spindle performance
- Measurement of thermal drift
The Spindle Error Analyzer performs tests in compliance with the latest ISO 230 standards
- Wide range of spindles and rotary tables
- Ultra precision and high speed spindles
- Real-time measurement & analysis
- Measurement according to ISO 230-3 and 230-7 standard
- Complete and portable system
Spindle measurement setup & principle
Non-contact precision sensors are applied to measure the dynamic displacement of master ball targets. The applied capacitance sensors are best suited because of the high bandwidth and they are not influenced by material properties or inhomogenities like inductive sensors.
A standard setup consists of 3 sensors mounted in X-, Y- and Z-direction respectively. The sensors measure simultaneously the master ball allowing a real-time dynamic radial and axial measurement. With 5 sensors also the tilt of the spindle can be determined in X- and Y-direction. The high performance software collects the readings from the probe while the spindle is turning, analyses the results and reports them on screen with polar and linear plots and discreet measurement values.
A couple of splindle measurement examples:
1. Rotating sensitive radial measurement
2. Fixed sensitive radial measurement
3. Axial measurement
4. Spindle shift as function of its speed
5. Tilt measurement with fixed sensitive direction
6. FFT analysis
7. Thermal behaviour
Other important measurements that can be performed with our Spindle Error Analyzer are feature location errors, roundness quality and surface finish.
Micromachining version of SEA
Besides the standard Spindle Error Analyzer described above, IBS Precision Engineering also offers a micromachining version of SEA that uses smaller probes, probe nest, and master ball compared to the standard SEA version. It includes the same proprietary software, sensor system, and ANSI and ISO standard tests for helping you understand the performance of your spindle at operational speeds. The Micromachining Spindle Error Analyzer measures your machine spindles with sub-nanometer resolution.
For more details and specifications, please open / download our brochure below: